Friday, August 21, 2009

My Musical Family


It’s Lolo Nanong’s 80th birthday. He’s actually my Dad’s cousin (I just learned about that tonight), I call him Lolo because all this time I thought that he’s my Dad’s Uncle (he’s 30 years older than my dad). It was the first family gathering (father’s side) we attended in 7 months, (ever since my Dad died.) I wasn’t quiet sure how I felt and what to expect on my way there. It felt weird going there without Daddy with us. After dinner the guys took turns in playing the piano. First it was my cousin playing all the love songs. I even texted my friends telling them my cousin is playing the piano and it makes me want to cry, all the love songs he played made me all emotional blah blah. LOL. (What’s wrong with me these days? I always want to cry. Even looking at a couple holding hands and looking so happy makes me want to cry.) Then it was my Uncle Boy who played the piano. All this time I sat by the chair near the piano. I was listening, humming to every song; I was texting, chatting with my aunties, playing with my grandson, while listening. (I couldn’t believe it, I have an “apo”!!! LOL.) And finally, Lolo Nanong took over. For me he was the best. He played with feelings, so strong you’ll get carried away. After a few songs Lola Genang, his sister, started requesting songs, and she sang her heart out. Boulevard of broken dreams, Sound of music, Happy birthday and some Visayan love songs were a few of the many songs. It’s interesting to know that all these songs are older than my parents and they sound so familiar (these are hits way back 1940s), I even knew the lyrics of some songs too, so I sang along with Lola. Hahaha. I guess all these years I’ve been exposed to all these old love songs. Then my Lolo asked me “What was Fritz’s (my dad) song?” I told him “Remember when”. It was the song my dad sang many years back during Lolo Nanong and Lola Sally’s golden wedding anniversary. He played the song, Lola sang, I sang along - I remembered Daddy, I looked at my mom, she was smiling. *Applause applause* after each song. That was the highlight of the evening. Then it was the younger ones turn to serenade those who were “young once”. My cousin BJ played the piano, Grace, his sister sang some songs, this time these are the songs of the younger generation. Haha. Tell me, On the wings of love, Through the fire, Promise me, Fallin, etc etc. I have to help Grace with the lyrics, not with the singing. Hahaha. If Dad was alive, he would have his turn too on the piano and he’d sing as well. And I would be asked to sing too! Uh-oh, Me singing would ruin the evening. So we had to leave earlier since Mom’s not feeling well (and before they could ask me to sing a few songs). Tonight I had fun. I know my Dad’s watching over us, singing his songs too. I look forward to the next family gathering with my Musical Family.


=====

I wore Yellow for Ninoy, Cory and for the Filipinos. Yellow is my favorite color.

No comments:

Post a Comment